The Combined Defence Services Examination (CDS) is conducted twice a year by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment into the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. The Notification for the examination is usually released in the months of October and June, and the examinations are conducted in February and November respectively. Only unmarried graduates are eligible to sit for the exam. Successful candidates are admitted into the respective Academies after an interview conducted by the Services Selection Board (SSB).
1.Nationality – A candidate must either be:
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962 with the purpose of permanently residing in India,
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the purpose of permanently residing in India.
2.Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status
For IMA-Unmarried male candidates born between 2nd July 1993 and 1st, July 1998 only are eligible.
For Indian Naval Academy-Unmarried male candidates born between 2 July 1993 and 1st, July 1998 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy-Age must be between 20-24 years as on 1st July 2017.
- For Officers’ Training Academy-(SSC course for men) Married or unmarried male candidates born between 2nd July
1992 to 1st July 1998 only are eligible.
- For Officers’ Training Academy-(SSC Women Non-Technical Course) Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible, candidates must be born between 2nd July 1992 and 1st July 1998 only are eligible.
For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy-Degree of a recognised University or equivalent.
- For Indian Naval Academy-Degree in Engineering from a recognised University/Institution.
- For Air Force Academy-Degree of a recognised University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
- Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services Examination (II), 2016 as per guidelines are given in Appendix-IV.
1.For IMA, INA, AFA – English – 2 Hrs. (100 marks), General Knowledge – 2 Hrs. (100 marks), Elementary Mathematics
– 2 Hrs. (100 marks).
2.For OTA – English – 2 Hrs. (100 marks), General Knowledge – 2 Hrs. (100 marks).
Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST candidates who are excused from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Patiala/State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.